ESTC 2020 was the first ESTC to take place completely on a virtual platform, enforced by the COVID-19 pandemic. We are happy and proud to state that the virtual ESTC 2020 has been a success! ESTC 2020 had 245 registered attendees, and many sessions had indeed a high number of participants. Discussions after the presentations were quite similar to a regular on-site conference, but also questions from anonymous people arised, these might not have appeared in a physical conference. The “poster pitch” videos allowed exposure of the poster presentations to the plenary audience. Indeed, many poster presenters used their brief timeslot very efficiently to draw attention to their work.
What did ESTC 2020 bring us?
- Five keynotes, from five different countries, addressed the future of a broad variety of technologies and market segments: Autonomous shipping; Fan-out Wafer and Panel Level Packaging; Smart Sensors for Agriculture; Quantum Computing; Artificial Intelligence for Ensuring Reliability
- Three plenary Special Sessions, looking at past, present and future of electronics, organizations and society: What to learn from the history of Silicon Valley; How to be aware of masculine and feminine roles in organizations; A look into the bright future after Moore’s Law
- A Workshop on the Heterogeneous Integration Roadmap (HIR), setting the directions for future development in the field of Electronics System-Integration
- 124 presented papers, extracted from 194 submitted abstracts
- 92 oral presentations in parallel sessions
- 32 interactive poster presentations, including 1-minute pitch video in plenary session
- 24 countries represented, from Europe, Asia, North & South America
- The 8 countries with highest number of papers: Germany (33), Norway (19), France (9), Belgium (8), Finland (8), Romania (7), United Kingdom (7), Japan (6)
- A virtual exhibition, with virtual booths for direct contact with exhibitors
- Virtual company visits to some of Vestfold’s electronics/ microsystem companies, specializing towards different market segments that require high quality and high reliability, such as aerospace and medical applications.
On behalf of the Organizing Committee,
Knut E Aasmundtveit (General Chair)
ESTC 2020 has given two awards, one for the best poster and one for the best paper.
ESTC 2020 Best Poster Award
ESTC 2020 Best Paper Award