After a long period of online events and social distancing, ESTC 2022 took place in Sibiu (Hermannstadt), an important medieval European Burg, located in Transylvania, a magnificent geographical region of Romania.
ESTC 2022 had 353 registered participants from 28 countries from Europe, Asia, North America. The 7 countries with the highest number of participants were: Romania (145), Germany (86), United States (10), France (9), Norway (7), Hungary (7), Austria (7). The IEEE EPS & NTC Summit was held as a joint event with the participation of 8 Student Branch Chapters from Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania.
What did ESTC 2022 bring us?
- Four professional development courses delivered by leading specialists: Why is now the right time to start digitalizing electronics manufacturing with an end-to-end holistic solution? - OREN MANOR, Siemens Digital Industries Software, Israel, Advances in Fan-Out Wafer Level Packaging (FOWLP) - BETH KESER, Ph.D., Intel, Fan-out Packaging and Chiplet Heterogeneous Integration - JOHN H LAU, Unimicron Technology Corporation, Additive Printed Flexible Hybrid Electronics - PRADEEP LALL, Auburn University, Alabama, USA.
- Four sponsored sessions covering hot topics in the automotive industry: Development of Electronic Braking Systems for Harsh Environment, Qualification Laboratory - Vibrations in Automotive, From Innovation to Standardization: The journey towards robust manufacturing solutions, The path towards Autonomous Mobility and the technologies that takes us there.
- 7 workshops on Climate neutrality and sustainable electronics, iRel40 – Intelligent Reliability along the Value Chain, Nanopackaging, IPCEI - A Session on Industrial Research on Assembly & Packaging in Europe, Heterogeneous Integration Roadmap (HIR) Workshop, University Level Education Activities in Electronics Packaging - Present and Future.
- Ten keynotes addressed the future of a wide variety of technologies and market segments.
- 126 presented papers:
- 82 oral presentations in 21 parallel sessions
- 34 poster presentations, including pitch video and e-poster in a virtual gallery on the website
- An exhibition with 33 exhibitors and sponsors.
- A company visit to Continental Automotive Systems Sibiu.
The participants had the opportunity to visit Sibiu, the European Capital of Culture 2007, and, during the conference dinner, to taste many gastronomic refinements, to enjoy a great cultural program and to visit the beautiful summer residence of Baron Samuel von Brukenthal (a baroque palace built in 1762), located near Sibiu, in Avrig.
On behalf of the Organizing Committee,
Paul Svasta (ESTC 2022 General Chairman)
Additional photos from ESTC 2022 can be seen here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pKAI1sasofmS5vEzYzP6x1tGaF3MATPh?usp=sharing
The following contributions were awarded for their quality:
BEST Paper Award - “Metallurgical aspects and joint properties of Cu-Ni-In-Cu fine-pitch interconnects for 3D integration” - Steffen Bickel, Fraunhofer IZM-ASSID, Dresden, Germany
Outstanding Paper Awards
- “Digital twin as a tool for evaluating and optimizing flow behavior in encapsulating processes” - Lisa Christin Stencel, Siemens AG, Berlin, Germany
- “Investigation of inorganic encapsulated power modules with enhanced cooling possibilities” - Stefan Behrendt, Danfoss Silicon Power GmbH, Flensburg, Germany
- “In-situ infrared spectroscopy for chemical analysis in electronic packaging processes” - Corinna Niegisch, Robert Bosch GmbH, Renningen, Germany
BEST Poster Award - “New opto-packaging concepts with electrical feedthrough and optic-micro-assembly by using laser direct soldering” - Nils Burmeister, Fraunhofer ISiT, Itzehoe, Germany
Outstanding Poster Awards
- “Feasibility Study of Magnetically Enhanced Interconnects for Integration of Flexible and Stretchable Electronics" - Daniel Ernst, Institute of Electronic Packaging Technology, Dresden, Germany
- “Wafer-Level Thin Film Encapsulation for RF MEMS Using SiN/SU-8 Membrane” - Kanaka Joy, Indian Institute of Technology Madras Chennai, India
- “Low temperature sapphire to silicon flip chip interconnects by copper nanoparticle sintering” - Xinrui Ji, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands